THE POWERS OF BAKING SODA – IT DOES MIRACLES TO YOUR SKIN, HAIR AND BODY
The incredible powers of baking soda are numerous. Sodium bicarbonate incorporates many benefits like antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial due to which it efficiently treats colds, oral and skin issues. It is found in fine powder form.
However, like everything else you cannot overdo with the use of baking soda as it may irritate your skin, hair or gums. Baking soda has wide spectrum of uses, and here below are ten of them:
- It relieves skin rashes or irritations, especially if you suffer from skin disorder like itching, rashes or irritated skin. Thanks to its anti- inflammatory properties, the inflammation will be reduced, and the swelling and itching feeling relieved.
However, if the itching occurs all over your body, you can nicely soak in a bathtub. Pour 1 cup of baking soda in a cool water tub and soak in it for 10 minutes a day.
If you want to treat specific irritated area, make a mixture of 1 part water with 3 parts baking soda. Apply the mix on the impacted area, and leave it to act for several minutes. Then, wash it off with cool water. You can do this treatment on regular basis.
NOTE: If your skin is irritated or severely damaged do not use baking soda so that flare ups do not occur.
- It improves skin complexion, due to the fact that is highly efficient in removing the dead skin cells and balancing the skin’s pH level. As a result of which the skin becomes clearer and healthier providing you with perfect skin complexion.
Preparation of facial paste: Blend filtered rose water and 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Then, put the paste onto your face and leave it for one minute. Rub it off with your fingertips, and then wash it off with lukewarm water. This treatment can be performed once or twice per week.
Likewise, improve your complexion with the following procedure: blend lemon juice and 4 to 5 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Apply it on your face and leave it to stay for five minutes. Wash it off with cold water. You can do this treatment two to three times a week.
- It fights against acne and zits, just mix some baking soda with a teaspoon of water so that you form a paste. Put the paste and leave it to stay on the impacted area for 1 to 2 minutes. Wash it off with cold water. This treatment can be performed two to three days. Afterwards, start doing it once or twice a week.
- It alleviates burning and itching sunburns, due to its antiseptic properties. It is very efficient especially if blisters occur due to long exposure to sun, it will dry them out and relieve you from the sunburn pain.
The first way how to use baking soda is to fill a bathtub with water, include a half a cup of baking soda in it, and mix it nicely. Soak in the baking soda bath for 10 to 15 minutes. Gently pat your body dry or even better air dry it. Do this once a day for a few days till the sunburn is gone.
The second way is the following one: mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda with cold water, and then dip a washcloth into the mix. Wring it out and applied it to the impacted area. Leave it to stay for 5 to 10 minutes. This treatment can be repeated several times throughout the day, that is, until you feel the relieving effect.
- It neutralizes body odor, because it has the ability to absorb moisture and sweat. Make a mixture of equal parts of cornstarch and baking soda, and then apply it into your armpits so that bad odor is eliminated, and at the same time perspiration is stopped.
Likewise, you can make another mixture of several drops of any essential oil, 1 tablespoon of water and 1/8 teaspoon of baking soda. Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and put it to your skin.
- It eliminates hair oil and stench, thanks to the alkaline properties which balance pH levels. For that reason, it is used scalp cleaning.
The easiest solution is to include a teaspoon of baking soda in your regular shampoo bottle. Wash your hair with this solution once or twice per week.
Another solution is to combine equal parts of cornstarch and baking soda, and sprinkle it to the roots of the hair, then tousle it around your hair, and after that brush it with a high quality hairbrush.
You can do the following treatment two times per month so that you treat the oils and the bad odor of the dirty hair. Prepare a 1:3 ratio mixture of baking soda and water. Then, apply it to damp hair and leave it to soak for five minutes and afterwards rinse it.
- It effectively eliminates dandruff, however in order to get rid of it you need to maintain a healthy pH level on the scalp meaning not too dry or too oily.
The first method is to mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with fresh lemon juice, and then apply it directly to the scalp. It should stay on your scalp for 2 to 3 minutes before rinsing. The treatment can be done once per week.
The second one is to apply one teaspoon of baking soda on damp hair, but be sure you get it to the scalp. Leave the baking soda to act for 1 minute and after that completely rinse it off. This treatment is also done once per week.
- It removes nail fungus, which can be very difficult, but the baking soda will solve the issue efficiently.
Prepare a homemade mixture for your finger and toenails. Use warm water and include 1 to 2 teaspoons of baking soda so that you form a paste, then apply it directly onto the nails, leaving it to act for the next a couple of minutes. Wash the paste off with warm water and do this treatment every day.
Prepare a second mixture of 1 cup of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda. Then, soak your toenails in the solution for five minutes and after that, pat them dry. This treatment can be done two times a day.
- It also gets rid of stains or nail discoloration, thanks to the exfoliating qualities.
So, if you have yellow or stained nails, prepare the following mixture: blend 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide with 2 ½ tablespoons of baking soda so that you get a thick paste. Apply the paste by using cotton swabs to your nails. This procedure is done every two months.
The other treatment is consisted of half a cup of water, 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tablespoon of baking soda. Mix all these ingredients in a bowl. Then, dip your nails for 2 to 3 minutes in this mix. Do this treatment once in a fortnight so that there aren’t any stains on your nails.
- It whitens teeth, thanks to the bleaching properties. It has the ability to brighten the teeth and remove plaque and yellow stains.
The first method is quite simple just mix it with your toothpaste on your toothbrush, and do your regular brushing for 2 minutes.
The second method is to prepare homemade whitening mixture. Mix 2 tablespoons of baking soda, 4 tablespoons of turmeric root and 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin coconut oil. This procedure is done once a day or in several days in a row. However, if you overdo it you may harm your teeth because baking soda can break down teeth’s natural enamel.